The Cokesbury Healthy Church Team met Monday evening, April 4th, to review the current plans for indoor worship services. In March we adjusted the indoor worship protocols to align with current recommendations and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Virginia Dept of Health (VDH) and we will continue with the current Mitigation Plan. We are in a “Mask Recommended but Not Required” protocol for **fully vaccinated individuals**. The Cokesbury Standard will be: Masks recommended for everyone up to date with vaccinations and masks required for everyone not up to date, continue home self-screening, temperature check upon entering the church, maintain social distancing, and contact tracing attendance registration. The Team is scheduled to meet again in May to review conditions and provide the next update to the congregation.
The CDC and VDH have shifted their focus to Community Level spread (hospitalizations and severe cases) of COVID-19 and have issued guidance for three levels: “LOW”, “MEDIUM”, and “HIGH”. Virginia and Prince William County are in the “LOW” category for infection spread risk. CDC and VDH guidance for “LOW” risk areas is that you should be fully up to date with vaccinations (main shots plus boosters) and get tested if you exhibit symptoms. With the cautious approach we have followed, we have steadily progressed from having no organized church-site worship activities, to regular Drive-In worship, to weekly Outdoor Worship, and weekly Indoor Worship with our Mitigation Activities Plan. During this extended time, and due to our diligent approach and your cooperation, we have been fortunate and suffered no local outbreaks within the Cokesbury Faith Family – our goal is to ensure our Safe Worship continues.
**The FDA approved a second booster shot for all individuals age 50 and older. It has also authorized a second Pfizer booster for people 12 and older with compromised immune systems, and a second Moderna booster for those 18 and older with compromised immune systems. The second boosters are available 4 months after the first booster was administered.** Please consult your primary care physician to determine if a second booster is right for you.
– Welcome Table will be held Sunday, June 12th after the worship service. Games and activities for children and adults. Lunch will be a picnic with grilled hotdogs, hamburgers, and all the fixins’
– Kits for Conference. Cokesbury is assembling hygiene kits for conference. Please pick up a zip lock bag in the narthex for instructions. The completed bags need to be returned by June 12th.
– The Cokesbury UMC Prayer Group meets weekly on Mondays at 6pm via Zoom – all are invited to join and participate! Please send or share all prayer concerns with Pastor Gayle so we may give each concern prayerful attention.
– Prayers for: : Donna and Roshier, Tom, Gordon, Mary Jane, Deirdre and John, Louise and Mark, Marian, Ellen, Margaret, Benny, Chuck, Debbie, Lilli, Ollie, Linda, Chrissie, Toye, people living with cancer, battling addictions, struggling with life changes, seeking the Lord.
– “Holy Spirit: Here and Now” by Trevor Hudson- a small group discussion is every Wednesday at 7pm via Zoom,
– A.C.T.S is in need of the following items: Canned Vegetables, especially peas, 15 oz size, Low sodium canned vegetables, Snack items, individually packed, Pop-top canned prepared meals suitable for our homeless clients, Single serve prepared food suitable for our homeless clients, Laundry Detergent, Dish Detergent, Cleaning Supplies in general, Toiletries and Personal Hygiene Items, Size 4T pull-ups, Size 6 diapers.
– Prince William County has three permanent medication drop off locations: Eastern District Police Station at 15948 Donald Curtis Drive, Woodbridge, VA 22191, Central District Police Station at 5036 Davis Ford Road, Woodbridge, VA 22192, and Western District Police Station at 8900 Freedom Center Blvd, Manassas, VA 20110. For more information visit: Medication Drop Boxes.
– Ushers needed for Sunday worship. Please contact Gordon Freeman to volunteer,
Keep an eye on Cokesbury UMC’s Facebook page and website for periodic updates and items of interest.
– The worship message is streamed online every Sunday at 10am on Facebook. You can find previous worship messages there as well.
Cokesbury UMC Facebook Page
Worship Services – YouTube
Advent Prayer Sessions – YouTube
Cokesbury UMC Web Site
Common Lectionary Daily Readings
Outdoor Worship Services (July-November 2021) – YouTube
Time of Prayer – YouTube
Pandemic Worship Services (March 2020-June 2021) – Pastor Taylor Mertins – YouTube
For Tithes and Offerings:
– Join us for Sunday Worship,
– Online via Cokesbury’s Donation page,
– Via mail to Cokesbury UMC, 14806 Blackburn Road, Woodbridge, VA 22191,
– Via the mail slot next to the upstairs door at the church.
If you shop at Amazon, please use our AmazonSmile access link to direct a portion (0.5%) of the price of eligible sales to Cokesbury UMC (it will not change the prices you pay):